FreeBSD 5.3 and updating Kernel -do I need to rebuild world?

robg robg.list at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 00:52:56 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a fresh copy of FreeBSD 5.3 and just finished updating the
latest source code via cvsup and rebuilt world and the kernel using my
custom kernel config.  However, I forgot to add an option to my kernel
that I'd like to add now.

Is it safe to simply edit the kernel file and `cd /usr/src/ && make
buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL && make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL`
or would I have to rebuild world as well?  I thought I read somewhere
that it was bad to just recompile the kernel without recompiling world
as well.

Thanks.