Upgrade to 5.3

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu Nov 11 23:36:19 GMT 2004

I am doing some testing of 5.3 in preperation to converting a number of
production boxes from 4.6.  A couple questions I have not been able to
find answers for:

One of my systems has a very large IDE drive that is used to hold some
long term very large files that are rarely created but occasionally
referenced.  The system disks are all SCSI.  When I convert that system
will the IDE drive (UFS format obviously) be mountable on 5.3?  Or do I
need to reformat it also?  I don't have any easy way to preserve those
files because of their size.

The port pstack doesn't work on the basic 5.3 install.  It expects
/proc to be there.  I can mount /proc and then pstack works just fine.
My guess is that proc was removed for a reason.  However, is there a
replacement for pstack or do I need to mount /proc?