Vinum configuration lost at vinum stop / start

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 11 14:33:37 PST 2004

Text wrapped.

On Thursday, 11 November 2004 at 12:00:52 +0200, Kim Helenius wrote:
> Greetings. I posted earlier about problems with vinum raid5 but it
> appears it's not restricted to that:
>
> Let's make a fresh start with vinum resetconfig. Then vinum create
> kala.txt which contains:

> Now I can newfs /dev/vinum/vinum0, mount it, use it, etc. But when I do
> vinum stop, vinum start, vinum stop, and vinum start something amazing
> happens. Vinum l after this is as follows:

> 0 volumes:
> 0 plexes:
> 0 subdisks:
>
> Where did my configuration go?! I can of course recreate it, with no
> data lost, but imagine this on a raid5 where the plex goes into init
> mode after creation. Not a pleasant scenario. Also recreating the
> configuration from a config file after every reboot doesn't sound
> interesting.

There have been a lot of replies to this thread, but nobody asked you
the obvious: where is the information requested at
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html?

Greg