problems with sound :[

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 11 11:50:44 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:56:54AM -0700, jason wrote:
> Danny MacMillan wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:34:14PM -0700, eodyna wrote:
> > >hi everyone,
> > >
> > >I can play mp3's :) but i cant seam to be able to play
> > >cd's.
> > >
> > >any ideas?
> > >
> > >thanks again.
> >
> > It seems likely that the tiny analog or digital cable
> > between your sound card and your CD-ROM drive is not
> > connected.
>
> My cds play just fine without that cable.

There are two ways sound gets from the CD to the sound card.
It can go directly from the CD to the sound card through the
analog or digital cable connecting the two.  Or it can be
read from the CD as data via the IDE interface and channeled
to the sound card through the system bus in the same way as
MP3s or any other digital sound information.  How the sound
actually travels is a function of what application is used
to play the sound.  The former is a more efficient use of
system resources.

Since the original poster can play MP3s but not CDs, there
are two probable candidates for failure.  The first and most
likely is that the CD-ROM and sound card are not connected
by that little cable, and that the original poster is using
an application that just tells the CD-ROM drive to start
playing instead of actually reading the music from the CD.
The other and less likely is that the CD-ROM is not able to
read the CD at all.

--
Danny