Bad blocks & 3ware RAID rebuild -- resolution

Matt Staroscik matt at wrongcrowd.com
Thu Nov 11 17:56:50 GMT 2004

I'm answering myself since (with the help of the list) I got my problem
solved. I hope this summary helps a future searcher. Thanks to Jerry and
everyone else who posted.

Summary of problem: My RAID mirror (3ware 7000-2) lost a drive, and it was
failing to rebuild with a new replacement disk (under 4.10). I was not sure
why the rebuild failed, due to a vague "disk error" message.

At this time I dumped the filesystems to a spare drive, but dump reported a
read error on /usr. I fsck'd, but this did not eliminate the problem.
Great, my degraded RAID's one "good" disk is having trouble!

It was pointed out to me that fsck would not fix bad blocks. I had to try
something else to repair the disk. I located a corrupt file by tarring up
/usr and waiting for trouble... A forgotten core dump showed a read error.
I deleted it, and a subsequent dump of /usr did not report errors.
Progress! However, the RAID would still not rebuild.

It turns out that an IDE drive will not remap a bad sector when READ... it
must be WRITTEN. So, after I deleted the file that (presumably) sat on the
bad sectors I filled up /usr with misc files. Afterwards, I checked the
disk SMART error log and sure enough, it showed some new bad sectors had
been remapped. (I checked disk 0 on the RAID with smartctl -a -d 3ware,0
/dev/twed0)

I deleted the temporary files and initiated a RAID rebuild in the 3dm web
interface. Before the sector repair, it would die after just a couple of
minutes, but after the sector repair the rebuild completed successfully.

SMART still reports that the drive is overall healthy... I am not sure how
many spare sectors are left but I have a working mirror again so I have
bought myself some time.

Thanks again.