inetd problem with 5.3-RELEASE

Boris Spirialitious hardcodeharry at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 09:12:23 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org> wrote:On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 05:16:10PM -0800, Boris Spirialitious wrote:

> > inetd[xxx]: unknown rpc/udp6 rpc/tcp6

> > Any modification of GENERIC from 5.3 seems to have the
> > problem. I have another config that I ported from 4.x that
> > works fine (with lots of stuff turned off). It must be some
> > driver that has a dependency that isn't working. Note that
> > INET6 is enabled.
> >
> > What causes this error?
>
> Perhaps your inetd.conf is bad; can you show it to us?
>
> kris

> only ftp and telnet are enbled. Everything below here is disabled.

Are you *absolutely certain* about this? Note that there's no mention
of rpc/udp6 or rpc/tcp6 in what you posted; it does appear later on in
the sample inetd.conf, but in a way that isn't a syntax error.

> As I said, it works fine with a config copied from 4.x. Here is a
> kernel that doesn't work. Sorry about the format, but yahoo is no
> good.

I don't see what could cause this in your kernel config (even in
theory), but if you have a kernel that works on the same machine you
could diff them to find out what it is.
inetd[xxx]: unknown rpc/udp6 rpc/tcp6> As I said, it works fine with a config copied from 4.x. Here is a
> kernel that doesn't work. Sorry about the format, but yahoo is no
> good.

>I don't see what could cause this in your kernel config (even in
>theory), but if you have a kernel that works on the same machine you
could diff them to find out what it is.

Kris

Yes, if it was something obvious then I wouldn't have had to ask the question.
There are 100 differences. Doesn't anyone know what things might
cause this error? Is it looking for a module that isn't loaded? Some piece
of code thats missing? One or two clues?

TIA

Boris