Vinum configuration lost at vinum stop / start

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Thu Nov 11 05:39:38 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 03:32:58PM +0200, Kim Helenius wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:00:52PM +0200, Kim Helenius wrote:
> > > Greetings. I posted earlier about problems with vinum raid5 but it
> > > appears it's not restricted to that.
> >
> > Are you running regular vinum on 5.x? It is known broken. Please use
> > 'gvinum' instead.
> >
> > There is one caveat: the gvinum that shipped with 5.3-RELEASE contains an
> > error in RAID-5 initialization. If you really need RAID-5 you either need
> > to wait for the first patch level release of 5.3, or you can build
> > RELENG_5 from source yourself. The fix went in on 2004-11-07.
>
> Thank you for your answer. I tested normal concat with both 5.2.1-RELEASE and
> 5.3-RELEASE with similar results. Plenty of people (at least I get this
> impression after browsing several mailing lists and websites) have working
> vinum setups with 5.2.1 (where gvinum doesn't exist) so there's definately
> something I'm doing wrong here. So my problem is not limited to raid5.

I don't know the state of affairs for 5.2.1-RELEASE, but in 5.3-RELEASE gvinum
is the way forward.

> I'm aware of gvinum and the bug and actually tried to cvsup & make world
> last night but it didn't succeed due to some missing files in netgraph
> dirs. I will try again tonight.

OK, I think that will help you out. But the strange thing is, RELENG_5 should
be buildable. Are you sure you are getting that?

Have you read

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

Particularly the 19.2.2 section, 'Staying stable with FreeBSD'?

HTH,

--Stijn

--
I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it.
		-- Edgar Allan Poe