about the tmpmfs="YES" in rc.conf

LEI CHEN adam.chen at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 10 22:05:13 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 16:11, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-11-11 04:36, LEI CHEN <adam.chen at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> >On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 03:44, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >> If you're using the -pipe option of gcc, it shouldn't make such a
> >> great difference where /tmp is.  I suspect it will make a HUGE
> >> difference where your /usr/obj tree is stored though.
> >
> > yes, I've read this in the handbook, /usr/obj shadows /usr/src
> > directories.
>
> Cool :)
>
> > But how can I put it into memory?
>
> Using mdmfs(8).  The mdmfs(8) utility is what does all the work behind
> the tmpmfs="YES" option in rc.conf.

I've found this url
http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=53
very helpful.

But I got only 256Mb of memory, so I can't mount 300Mb mfs into RAM. And
therefore I can only mount 128Mb or so. Well in this case, would there
be a memory overflow during make world? And what to do if this is the
case?

Cheers,
LEI