cdrtools & scsi cdrom

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Nov 10 12:42:24 PST 2004

In the last episode (Nov 10), Vittorio said:
> Under freeBSD 5.2.1 I compiled cdrtools from /usr/ports/cdrtools.
>
> Now, even though  I'm expert under linux in burning CDs  & setting
> the ATAPI RW-cdrom as a SCSI one via the module ide-scsi, I can't
> figure out how to do the same under freebsd.

If you have an atapi CD, put these lines in your kernel config:

device		ata
device		atapicam	# emulate ATAPI devices as SCSI ones via CAM
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device		cd		# SCSI CD
device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

After you rebuild and reboot, you should see an extra SCSI bus with a
cd device which you can use cdrecord on.

> By the way where, under what directory, I can find the CD-Writing HOWTO
> in freebsd (and, of course the other Howtos)?

The cdrecord manpage is pretty complete, I think.  General instructions
on using FreeBSD are at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/ and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ .

--
	Dan Nelson