Sed Help.....

Rod Person personrp at hotpop.com
Wed Nov 10 11:43:48 PST 2004

I trying to write a script that will make it easier for a friend that I
finally talked into trying Freebsd setup a desktop.

This part of the script is suppose to change the line in the ttys file
to allow kdm to start on boot.

Here is the relavent code:

    KDMLINE="/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"
    REPLACELINE="/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"

    sed -e "s/$REPLACELINE/$KDMLINE/g" /etc/test/ttys > /etc/test/new

Here is the error I'm getting:
    sed: 1: "s//usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -n ...": bad flag in substitute command: 'X'

I can't seem to figure this out and the only things I've found in
searching is that sed had a problem with replacing strings over
4096 bytes, but I don't think this is the cause and all those post
were years old.

This is on FreeBSD 5.3.

Rod