FBSD 2.5.1-p11 | Promise SATA150 TX2plus | Seagate B 200GB - BAD SUPERBLK / Machine freezes up etc

Sebastian Holmqvist sebastian.holmqvist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 10:13:29 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:04:31 +0100, Sebastian Holmqvist
<sebastian.holmqvist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:25:18 -0500, Louis LeBlanc <freebsd at keyslapper.org> wrote:
>

> > On 11/08/04 08:04 PM, Sebastian Holmqvist sat at the `puter and typed:
> >

> > > "I've been getting WRITE_DMA timeouts in /var/log/messages though,
> > > typically 1 to 3 of them before the lockup.  Have you noticed any of
> > > these?"
> > > Nope, nothing of that kind.
> > > Can't check for earlier times since I've reinstalled since then. But
> > > the error tonight didn't report anything.
> > >
> > > Please get back to me if you manage to survive any large data-transfers :)
> > > In that case; "5.3 HERE I COME" :p
> >
> > Will do.  I've been eagerly awaiting 5.3 to deal with this exact problem.
> >
> > Typically, building OpenOffice.org will tell one way or another, and it
> > should be going on now - unless it's already locked up.  I'll find out
> > when I get home this evening and let you know.
> >
> > If it doesn't lock up, I'll try building a couple large packages
> > simultaneously (like Mozilla and jdk1.4).  That will be the absolute
> > indicator.
> >
> > If it does lock up, I'll be reinstalling some time this week with the
> > fdisk geometry forced to that recommended by WD, and running back
> > through the disk loads described above.
> >
> > Lou
> > --
> > Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
> > Fully Funded Hobbyist, KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
> > http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬
> >
> > This isn't true in practice -- what we've missed out is Stradivarius's
> > constant.  And then the aside: "For those of you who don't know, that's
> > been called by others the fiddle factor..."
> >     -- From a 1B Electrical Engineering lecture.

> "Will do.  I've been eagerly awaiting 5.3 to deal with this exact problem."
> You too? :) That's why I haven't touched FreeBSD for so long, I had
> this fix idea it was 5.2.1 that screwed me over.
>
> Don't have my discs as system, so building and that kind of stuff
> isn't touched, luckily.
>
> Since you don't have it when you're transferring files, it probably
> has to do with FBSD's compability with SATA controller cards.
> I'm doing 'make buildworld' now so that I can easily switch over to
> 5.3 later on.
>
> --
>
> Sebastian Holmqvist

Gah!!
This drives me mad!

My cvsup didn't go as I planned, so I reinstalled from scratch yesterday.
Updated my ports-tree and installed proftp and set it up.

I formatted my Sata-discs WITH the logical geometry printed at seagates site.
Started a transfer, it lasted 2 hours, then :/
Now my whole can is frozen and I can't do anything but restart.
Somebody, please help!
--

Sebastian Holmqvist
Webprogrammer / HL2 modder