release 5.3 'Configure' missing 'XFree86' option

James Pole james at pole.net.nz
Tue Nov 9 20:52:08 PST 2004

On 10/11/2004, at 4:42 PM, Mike Jeays wrote:

> It seems to have Xorg as a replacment.  I am having all sorts of
> trouble
> configuring X for one machine - it seems to be a new learning
> experience
> altogether.  Guess I am a bit frustrated this evening...

Configuring Xorg is quite simple.

As root run the following commands
Xorg -configure
[...wait until it creates an custom configuration in your home dir
based on your hardware, the screen may go blank during this stage...]
mv ~user/Xorg.conf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xorg.conf

Are you planning to run a login manager (e.g. gdm, kdm, xdm)? This
greatly simplifies the set-up process of Xorg (and XFree86 too) as Xorg
would not need to run as an user to use a login manager. I find that
running Xorg/XFree86 as root with a login manager is usually the
easiest way to set up an X server on FreeBSD.

Regards,
James