difference between releases

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Nov 9 14:23:22 PST 2004

On 2004-11-09 16:44, TM4526 at aol.com wrote:
> [...]the difference between having a meaningful, documented release
> structure rather than just slapping out a snapshot because its "time".
> At some point you have to stop working on stuff, hammer out a release, and
> then start working again. It shouldn't just be a moment in time of -current,
> with all the uncertainty that entails.

And it isn't.  You just choose to view it that way.

> I'm not saying that's how it works, but when this thread started, that's how
> it was depicted.

It most certainly wasn't.  SInce it was me who said that releases are 'points
in time', which is what you have built your arguments upon since then, let me
add that the releases are 'points in time extracted from the STABLE branch'.

There is only *ONE* exception to this rule, namely 5.2.1-RELEASE, and this one
was clearly marked as a "technology preview release, aimed at developers and
other early adopters".

It's easy to put releases cut from the STABLE branch and snapshots taken from
the CURRENT branch all in the same basket, but it's not correct too.

Now can we move on?

- Giorgos