/usr/src/Updating

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue Nov 9 03:42:27 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:41:29PM +1030, Ian Moore wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm just about to upgrade my 5.2.1-RELEASE system to 5.3-RELEASE.
> I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask some questions I've been
> wondering about for quite some time re the info in Updating.
>
> Firstly, I assume (always risky!) that stuff like:
> > 20041003:
> > The pfil API has gained an additional argument to pass an inpcb.You should
> rebuild all pfil consuming modules: ipfw, ipfilter and pf.
>
> will be rebuilt when I run make buildworld & you only have to worry about
> building it specifically if you selectively build certain parts of the source
> rather than the world?

Yes - they should be rebuilt (as part of the kernel build, in fact, I
believe) unless you have set MODULES_OVERRIDE in /etc/make.conf.

One thing to bear in mind, and that has bitten me three times now (I
/will/ learn, soon...) is that after the installkernel, some of your
firewall rules will not work with the old world.  The best bet is to
boot to single user, do the installworld and mergemaster, then reboot.
Your firewall rules should now function as before.

Oh, and if you use ipfw instead of pf, set NO_PF=true in /etc/make.conf
- without this, and if you don't add the appropriate users and groups
before installworld, the installworld will puke.

I'm sure will have other caveats.  These are the ones that keep getting
me, though.

> The release of 5.3 is clearly marked in Updating, but the release of 5.2.1
> isn't so I guess I can ignore stuff before it's release date which is
> 24-02-2004?
>
> I've cvsuped the doc collection. There are no instructions in the handbook for
> building doc - does it get built along with the rest of the source when I do
> my make buildworld, or do I need to build it seperately (I assume it's the
> stuff in /usr/src/share/doc ?)

No - if you want updated local copies of the docs, you will need to
install one of the docproj ports, under /usr/ports/textproc.  Take a
look at their pkg-descr files to see which one is most suitable for you.

Then, I suggest you tweak the DOC_LANG knob in /etc/make.conf so you
only spend time building docs in your preferred language.  For example,
to build docs in English, I have this:

DOC_LANG=       en_US.ISO8859-1

Installing it is as simple as

# cd /usr/doc
# make all install clean

Provided you doc source is in /usr/doc.  It gets installed, sensibly, in
/usr/share/doc.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \