difference between releases

Jason Sheets jason.sheets at hp.com
Mon Nov 8 14:30:53 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 12:57, TM4526 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 11/8/04 2:41:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> thad.butterworth at hp.com writes:
> >As far as open-open source being the only one in beta, I work in
> >development where our code is closed-source. Even we have to admit that
> >our releases fit better into the category of BETA than RELEASE.
> Which is pretty-much why I haven't bought or recommended anything from
> HP since the LaserJet Plus. I wonder how they feel about you revealing that?

I do not represent anyone but myself on this list but I two feel that
the time to voice my opinion has arrived.

The opinion of a single user does not a user base make; every product
has defects, every program has problems one can only hope that a product
performs well the majority of the team in a cost effective way.

If you haven't used a company's products for years you are not qualified
to make any recommendation about them because you are not informed or
educated about them. I'm sure you will agree making a recommendation
with being informed is irresponsible and morally incorrect.

You have contributed very little except spite and turmoil to this list,
FreeBSD is a successful operating system in part because of the maturity
of it's user base, I have not seen nearly as many extremists in FreeBSD
as I have in other operating systems and that leads to a mature
discussion with a voice of reason.

Several times you have dismissed or attacked a member's post because
"they did not even know about <n>" but that does not necessarily detract
from the value of the other post.

You have spread misinformation and FUD about FreeBSD 5's performance on
several occasions, made several unsupported claims and generally not
contributed in a positive manner.

> Please lets not get into "yet-another" open-source discussion. My only
> point was that a "Release" should not be "just another snapshot", there
> should be some "plan". If the 4 bozos who jump on everything I say will
> just cut back on the coffee there wouldn't be so much BS.

So when will you switch to decaf?  Seriously though, in case you didn't
notice this IS an open source discussion list, FreeBSD 5 is not just
another snapshot it has undergone qualification and is in my experience
and opinion very stable.

If you would refrain from insulting people's intelligence, name calling
and trolling people would not need to respond to your posts as they do.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what skills or knowledge you may
have, knowledge without the ability to effectively interact with others
is worthless and leads only to the unemployment line.

In the future I hope that you will attempt to relate your opinions in a
less confrontational way and present your opinion as what it is, a
single person's view on something that may or may not be backed by fact
(The use of IMHO is would be appropiate).

FreeBSD is in general a great OS and my OS of choice hands down, however
there are certain things other opearting systems are better at, this
doesn't make FreeBSD bad it simply means someone else excels at a
particular task.

I hope that you can become a positive member of this list and support
the wonderful and growing community.

Jason