Apache2 seg faults

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 12:00:27 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 08:03:15PM +0100, Webmaster wrote:
> Hi everybody.
> Need help with Apache2 seg fault.
> I'm totally in my blinds on this one. It seems like the problem occurs
> when Apache is trying to
> do a graceful restart.
> Tried to do some "googling" and searching the mail archives, but found
> nothing useful.
> Found an answer from Matthew Seaman to a similar problem, but didn't
> understand much about it.
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2004-September/057901.html

Fame at last!

> odin# uname -a
> FreeBSD odin.swedehost.com 4.10-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p3 #0:
> Fri Nov  5 16:04:49 CET 2004
> root at odin.swedehost.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ODIN  i386
>
> This is what the httpd-error.log has to say about it :
> [Mon Nov 08 19:00:00 2004] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing
> restart
> [Mon Nov 08 19:00:02 2004] [notice] seg fault or similar nasty error
> detected in the parent process
> [Mon Nov 08 19:01:52 2004] [warn] pid file /var/run/httpd.pid
> overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
> [Mon Nov 08 19:01:52 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.52 (FreeBSD) PHP/4.3.9
> mod_ssl/2.0.52 OpenSSL/0.9.7d configured -- resuming normal operations
>
> And then nothing happening. I have to manually restart the server by
> issuing the following :
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl startssl
>
> Any and all help preciated.

It is probably not a problem with the base Apache itself which is
leading to the segfaults.  Rather I'd suspect that some module you're
module like mod_php{4,5}, mod_jk or mod_perl.

The first step is to narrow down what the cause of the problem is.
Try commenting out the LoadModule directives in httpd.conf until you
can isolate which one is the cause of the problem.

Note: I'm assuming that you're using the standard prefork MPM --
that's definitely the preferred (in fact the only working) method
under 4.10.  I think it's still preferred in 5.x, but in that OS
version you might be able to succeed at using one of the threaded
MPMs.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way