Restarting vino remotely

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Mon Nov 8 07:15:18 PST 2004

So I had to restart my home box the other day then realized while away that
I forgot to launch vino-session, so I am unable to VNC to my local desktop.

This seems to work me into a corner, as while I can still ssh into the
computer, I cannot start vino-session from the remote ssh session because of
DISPLAY issues. It insists on running from the local desktop.

I've been researching since yesterday and haven't found any suggestions that
work. Some posts mention "xhost +localhost" but when I try that I get:

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I've also tried setting the DISPLAY variable to localhost:0 and
localhost:0.0 as well as using the --display= command line parameter of
vino-session to no avail.

This isn't a critical issue but kinda inconvenient and bound to happen
again. So I figured I'd ask the list: faced with a situation like this,
what's the best way to bootstrap your way back into being able to VNC into
your local desktop (localhost:0)? Thanks!

=====
Fix most Windows problems here: http://vtbsd.net/winhelp/
Sick of ads/pop-ups/spam in AIM/Yahoo/MSN? http://www.jabber.org/

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?