Trouble with X

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sun Nov 7 18:21:54 PST 2004

Damien Hull wrote:

>I installed 4.10 and got the system up and running. I've tried to setup
>X but I'm not having any luck. I even followed the instructions in the
>hand book.
>
>Here's what I have.
>1. Onboard video
>2. Works ok but only at 800x600
>3. Text is bad
>
>Can someone tell me how to setup X in freebsd? Under Linux it just
>works.

As some have mentioned, the handbook's got most of what you
need...however, tweaking sometimes improves things.

As for your specific information:

1.  "Onboard video" ... OK.  What chipset?  Check the output of dmesg(8)
and let us know ... that would likely affect the chipset/driver information
that you need in /etc/X11/XF86Config.

2.  "Works ok but only at 800x600" ...  OK.  So maybe things aren't *quite*
so bad?  You need to have proper information about your horizontal sync
and vertical refresh in the above-referenced file, and maybe even modelines,
which is a subject beyond me.  I have X running at 1200x1024 without 'em,
though...

Of course, you also need something like:

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
                Modes "1280x1024"
                Modes "1600x1200"
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection

If all you have is a default XF86Config, I'm rather surprised you even
get 800x600.....

3.  "Text is bad" ... Hmm.  Did you read the handbook section on fonts?
'Been a long time since I did this one ... but it's in there, and should
give
you pretty good results.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.