dhcpd (reprise)

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sun Nov 7 08:20:30 PST 2004

Gary Kline <kline at magnesium.net> writes:

> 	I don't know if my mail from last night (Friday, localtime)
> 	got thru or not.  Part of sendmail is bolloxed too...  I
> 	see my /var/log/maillog filling up, but unable to resolve
> 	mail from freebsd.org.  Or anywhere.
>
> 	Anyhow, last night thngs on my primary server broke.  I can
> 	ping, I can use mozilla, wshatever, but only from
> 	ns1.thought.org.
>
> 	I fixed the new bind9 paths and re-exec'd those.  But for
> 	unknown reasons, dhcpd fails to hand out new leases.  Does
> 	anybody have any ideas howto debug this?  (I've tried some
> 	people here on the Seattle list, but they're unavailable.)
>
> 	So: nutshell, looks like my /etc/namedb/* stuff is okay.
> 	--Something wrong with sendmail.--  And dhcp* quit working.
> 	Any real, hardcore system admins out there who can help me??

If sendmail is still failing to resolve names, then it sounds like
your named setup is *not* okay.  But you'd have to show us what the
symptoms are precisely in order for us to help figure it out.

For dhcpd, the answers are either in the dhcpd logs or could be if you
raised the verbosity.  I've been using the ISC server lately in a
development testbed, and I use the '-d' option to get the log
information sent directly to my terminal.
 "dhcpd -d -cf /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.debug.conf"