Mac Address Spoofing(!)

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Sun Nov 7 04:12:55 PST 2004

On 日, 2004-11-07 at 06:58, eddie dandrades wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
>  I've set out to spoof my gateway's mac address so that I can get a
> new ip address from my cable ISP without having to unplug my modem for
> 24 hours as they suggested (and is understandable, thats how long
> their DHCP lease last). I've tried several things, one of which is
> following the instructions here
> http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200406/netgraph.html - I also tried doing:
> ifconfig xl0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00 to no avail.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone on this list knows of a way to do it
> successfully or can provide me with a link to some useful
> documentation.
>

> Thanks guys!
>

> gabriel

Just a thought but many around me have broadband modems from their ISP's
and they faced the same problem you describe and their ISP told them to
disconnect for 2 to 3 hrs but that is hardly workable. The solution was
to reboot the modem. The modem cached the MAC address on the client side
not the ISP's DHCP server. Would that work better in your situation
rather than trying to spoof MAC addresses ?

HTH

LukeK