FreeBSD 5.3 and ed0

Gerard Samuel fbsd-questions at trini0.org
Sat Nov 6 20:35:53 PST 2004

Gerard Samuel wrote:

> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 09:29:27PM -0500, Gerard Samuel wrote:
>>

>>> Im trying to move from FreeBSD 4.10 to 5.3.
>>> When I used to install 3.x/4.x on this box, I would configure
>>> the network card during the install process.
>>> According to the manual, the device config part of the install,
>>> was taken out, but the network card doesnt get identified by FreeBSD
>>> 5.3.
>>> I tried selecting #6 during the install boot menu,
>>> and entered ->
>>> boot -c
>>> in the hopes to get the device config screen, but I didn't get that.
>>> Is it possible to get that pre FBSD 5.x device config screen,
>>> or is there some way to configure that network card during the
>>> install process??
>>>

>> I believe you can set a hint variable from the loader prompt.  The
>> defaults are:
>>
>> hint.ed.0.at="isa"
>> hint.ed.0.disabled="1"
>> hint.ed.0.port="0x280"
>> hint.ed.0.irq="10"
>> hint.ed.0.maddr="0xd8000"
>>
>> Kris
>>

> I'll give this a shot.
> Thanks

Ok.  I didnt get any further.  Not sure if Im doing the correct thing.
1.  I chose #6 from the boot menu
2.  I entered "show" to see all the hints
3.  I entered `set hint.ed.0.port="0x300"`  (without the ``; see below
for why I did this)
4.  I entered "show" again to verify the change
5.  I entered "boot"

The dmesg goes by, and I didn't see ed0 load up.  I scrolled back, and its
definately not in the list.
I tried continuing the install, and I dont have a choice to use ed0 in
the network setup,
to pull sources off the internet to install FBSD.
So Im not sure what is going on...

For the reason why I only modified ed0's hint port is because its the
only setting
different from what Im currently using (settings wise) under 4.10 (and
all the
versions since 3.4 if I remember correctly).

gatekeeper# uname -a
FreeBSD gatekeeper.trini0.org 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE #0: Mon
May 31 06:25:01 EDT 2004
gsam at gatekeeper.trini0.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GATEKEEPER  i386

gatekeeper# dmesg | grep ed0
ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xd8000-0xdbfff irq 10 on isa0
ed0: address 00:00:c0:29:52:48, type WD8013EPC (16 bit)

gatekeeper# ifconfig | grep ed0
ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

gatekeeper# more /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GATEKEEPER | grep ed0
device          ed0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

Thanks