memory requirements?

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Fri Nov 5 21:17:57 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:49:56PM -0800, Jay O'Brien wrote:
>
>>I inherited a 400 MHz Pentium II with 128MB of RAM
>>and a 20GB HD.
>>
>>Is this an adequate configuration to run 5.2.1, or
>>do I need to add memory?
>

> It all depends what you want to do with it...it's the applications you
> run that take up most of the memory.  128MB is a bit on the small side
> if you're going to be doing memory-heavy desktop work (e.g. running
> mozilla, KDE, etc), but there are plenty of lighter-weight
> alternatives to those applications.
>
> Kris

Good point. I am bringing up another (very capable) machine and learning
as I go; I set it up with 4.10 and I now think I should be running 5.2.1.
It will ultimately be a mail and web server.

I thought I would bring this old machine (inherited from my 89 yr old
m-i-l who passed away in August) on 5.2.1 to get a feel for it; I would
probably not do much more than use it as a SSH terminal to connect to
the other machine and as a learning tool to learn (or re-learn) unix
commands. It presently runs Win98SE, had a CD reader and a NIC card,
so I know it has working hardware.

The bottom line is that 128MB seems adequate for FreeBSD itself?

Jay O'Brien