Naming confusion

Lloyd Hayes lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 16:47:58 PST 2004

 >It doesn't matter what name you give the machine. Just add that name
to /etc/hosts as the loop back address' lookup name.

I refer to this computer as "traveler2". It is the 2nd laptop that I had
purchased. Everything before had been desktops. I have traveler2 and
traveler4 in the truck with me.  OK, lets  say that I call it
"traveler2.hayes.org". Where will I get into trouble with this?

Also, in reading about DHCP, I think that I read something about a
caution concerning naming of the computer. Something about the computer
should not have been named before. Is this correct?

Can I just insert a name into the /etc/rc.conf file? Or do I need to go
through the 'Name' procedure?

It seems that I can't setup the DHCP, ddclients, until I get a wifi card
that FBSD recognizes. All of my Internet access is through WiFi
connections....

Also, In the /etc/hosts file, I understand the 27.0.0.0, but what is
this ::1 address?

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590