ATI, OpenGl, and the like.

NiY niyamas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:35:40 PST 2004

Greetings! I've been a FreeBSD user for a few years now, off and on.
After my last harddrive dumped on me, I decided to stick with FreeBSD
as my main OS. I work as an PC/Net technician/admin and know the
console and server ends of FreeBSD rather well at this point. I've
never been much into graphics and games, but a little while ago I
stumbled, through happenstance, upon an ATI AIW Raden 9600 w/ 128 Megs
ram. I sold my old graphics card for cigarrette and pizza money, so
going back to it is no longer an option. My first thought was to get
the dual head function working under X11. No go. I googled the hell
out of it, tried all the stuff I could find, wouldn't work for me. Not
a big deal, I'll pic up an old pci video card at some point and give
it another shot. If anyone happens to have an XF86Config or Xorg.conf
file with this setup running, however, please feel free to send it my
way.
In my travels around the web I found a lot of irate FreeBSD users with
ATI graphics cards, specifically dealing with getting OpenGL to work.
I am running X.org 6.8.1 on FreeBSD 5.2.1. I have dual P3 1.0Ghzs and
512 megs RAM. Should be more than enough to play a silly little game
on. The game in question is Cube. It looks nice, figured it might help
me kill some time between on call rotations. Problem is, the darn
thing runs slow enough to pace mollasses in january. I get 10 fps
average. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? How can I
tell if OpenGL is running properly? Where can I find info on
configuring OpenGL for my card? I've tried setting the FPS range in
the game, doesn't help.

Oh, and if anyone knows what the deal is with these graphics cards and
FreeBSD (well, I guess X on FreeBSD more specifically) is.. status of
drivers and what not, point me in the right direction. Nothing major,
just a little frustrating. All in all, I love FreeBSD. If this card
isn't going to work for me, can anyone recommend a dual head video
card that runs decently with OpenGL and has a built in TV tuner?
Preferably a tv tuner that will actually work? (still holding my
breath for the Gatos team to catch up some day.)

If you need any of my config information, lemme know. Sorry for the
message length, wasn't quite sure how to trim it down.