Apache 1.3 'lag' with PHP ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Wed Nov 3 09:22:50 PST 2004

I'm trying to track down an odd problem, and getting almost no where with
it :(

When you go to http://www.postgresql.org/index-test.php, at the bottom,
there is 'load times' based on various settings throughout the code ...
the file reads in one file, and has two database access sections to it ...
timings look like:

total load time: -0.212738

The problem is when you go that page, it seems to 'hang' for a few seconds
before loading ... even using lynx on the same machine ...

there are currently 31 IPs allocated to that machine, and the apache
server is running within a FreeBSD jail environment ... apache is the
latest 1.3.31 ... php is 4.3.9 ... both are from FreeBSD ports, so php is
a module, and it loads up its extensions as seperate modules, based on
/usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini ...

Using iostat, drives aren't busy ... swap usage is around 5M ... and top
reports that InAct memory is hovering around 1G ...

We have MinSpareServers set to 15, Max set to 30 ...

Note that I'm doing most of my testing on the server itself, using lynx,
so I'm not dealing with 'Net lag or anything ...

Is there something that I should be looking at to make things react
faster?

One note ... if you go to http://www.postgresql.org, which is static HTML,
it comes up instantly ... its only when hitting a .php page that the lag
appears to arise ...

Is there something else that I should be looking at to optimize things?
Or to track down the slowdown?

Thanks ...

----