how do I get the status of a raid array?

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Wed Nov 3 06:58:52 PST 2004

Dave Alden wrote:

>Hi,
>  I'm new to FreeBSD (switching my primary NFS server over from RHEL) and
>I'm trying to figure out how I can get the current status of my RAID setup.
>I'm using an LSI MegaRAID 320-2x card and FreeBSD 5.3RC2 (don't worry, I'm
>just testing for now, I'm going to wait until 5.3 is officially released
>before I try to go live :-).  What I need is to be able to write a script
>that checks the status of the RAID array and notifies me if it becomes
>degraded.  I previously did it by using the /proc FS under linux to check
>the current status of the RAID array.  Help?

Barring any more specific suggestions, FreeBSD has a procfs(5) and, for
Linux compatibility, linprocfs(5). They both have kernel modules in
/boot/kernel which could be set up to load in /dev/rc.conf(maybe
compiled into kernel? I'm not knowledgeable about such things), and then
you can create and mount /proc or /compat/linux/proc respectively, using
the filesystem types of procfs or linprocfs, also respectively. That
might help get you what you need.

-BB