linux_base-8 mystery

Matt Navarre mnavarre at cox.net
Wed Nov 3 05:20:11 PST 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 05:32, Bsd B wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question that has really stumped me. I have
> searched far and wide and have found no literature on
> it.
> My question - Why can't i install linux_base-8 from
> packages?
>
> I am running linux_base-7.1_7 on FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE
> and wish to upgrade to linux_base-8. As root I type
> "pkg_add -r linux_base-8" and get the following
>
> Error: FTP Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.10-release/Latest/l
>inux_base-8.tgz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> pkg_add: unable to fetch
> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.10-release/Latest/
>linux_base-8.tgz' by URL

There's no linux_base-8 package there. In fact I don't see linux_base-8
packages built for any 4.x (-RELEASE, -STABLE or -CURRENT).
> It installs perfectly from ports, but why not from
> packages? I am puzzled. Does any one know why or can
> point me to some reference or literature explaining
> this mystery?

Packages only exist if someone builds them. The packages in the release
directory are, I believe, a shapshot of the ports tree at the time the
release was made. I don't know how often the -STABLE and -CURRENT packages
are updated or why linux-base-8 isn't in them. I don't see packages for
5.3-RELEASE or -CURRENT either.

See the note in section 4.4.1 of the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/packages-using.html

--
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming,
 and soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind