external hard drive

Lloyd Hayes lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 18:46:54 PST 2004

I just tried putting vfat in the fstab for file type having just the
Buslink drive connected, not the small drive enclosure. Using mount -a,
I got  "Inappropriate  file type or  format"
I'm logged in as root.

I am beginning to suspect that I installed too much software during this
Install. It is being picked up, but I don't know how it's being
interpreted. I'm beginning to think that FBSD thinks it's a clock.
(Tic-Toc.)

Anyway, I just realized that I installed more software this time, then
at any previous time. I posted my dmesg, fstab, and rc.conf files
earlier. I think that I may have over done it and created a conflict
somewhere. I think that I'll give this a rest, then simply wipe the disk
and re-install everything when I get time again.

As far as external drives goes, the Buslink 40 GB hard drive seems to be
extremely good. It stands up to being turned on 24 hours per day and 7
days per week while bouncing around in my truck on a wood shelf. (It's
about 3 or 4 years old. Possibly older.) Usually, all of the systems can
find this drive.

But drive closures for old hard drives, this one that I have from
CompUSA seems to do a good job. It comes with a leather case to fasten
to my belt, if I wanted it there. I mentioned the problems with Win
98SE. (Conflict between USB CD ROM and this drive.) None of the Linux
distros that I've tried could see it. (Slackware, Debian, Red Hat 9,
Fedora 2, SUSE Live CD, Knoppix.) The only UNIX system that could use it
was FreeBSD, and that was when I had FreeBSD installed last Spring. This
drive has one of those special USB connection cables which are used on
some cameras and small devices. USB on computer end and a very small
plug on the hard drive end. The cable wears out every every once in a
while. If you get on, get an extra cable.
(Note: Right now, the cable seems to work OK when I hook it into my
Toshiba laptop, which runs Win XP. So, I don't think that I have a
problem with the cable.)

This will go out the next time that I hook into the Internet. Messages
will probably cross...

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590