CTM first time user needs your help

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 18:38:40 PST 2004

Good day,
   I have a workstation at office but I can only
access the internet through our proxy server. Someone
in this list have the same situation which was told to
use CTM. I'm currently using
5.3RC1 and would want to keep in sync with the latest
sources of 5.3 and recompile my system. I already have
the sources and just want to update it.

Upon reading the instructions I went to

ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM and found these
directories:

cvs-cur
ports-cur
src3-cur
src4-cur
src5-cur
src-cur

Here are what confuses me:

1. First, if I choose to enter the src5-cur directory
above, which file would I pick, the last/latest one
dated NOV 1?

2. What are those gzipped files and why are those
older files still exists?

3. Another thing is I can't really understand how the
CTM process works. Mind if you give me some brief
insight on how I will be able to get the latest
sources? I'm thinking perhaps its like the bittorrent
system wherein the torrent file contains the
information where to get the files. How about the CTM?

Thanks a lot for your time and have a nice day!