*BSD is considered the safest OS

Benjamin Walkenhorst krylon at gmx.net
Tue Nov 2 09:31:33 PST 2004

Richard Cotrina wrote:

>Perhaps this is an old news, but it's interesting to post it to the list.
>
>A recent study made by MI2G, an UK company focused in data risk
>security, shows that *BSD and MacOS X were the less breached OS in a
>sample of more that 200K computers permanently connected to the internet.
>
>http://mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/press/021104.php

heise.de questioned the credibility of the study. On the other hand they
did a security survey
around december 2003/january 2004, and IIRC, their results were *pretty*
similar to what this
study shows.
I do believe, the heise-study also mentioned that BSD-systems were not
only rarely attacked because
of being so rare, but that the rate of successful attacks against
BSD-based system was lower than
with, say Linux and Windows.

<speculation>
I for one do believe that Linux gets aways so badly not because Linux
inherently insecure or "bad",
but because many Linux-machines do not - that's my impression at least -
receive the degree of
administrative attention they would need. BSD - in my impression -
attracts more experienced
users/administrators than Linux, having become rather "mainstream".
If you looked at the attacked Linux systems in more detail, I also
assume you'd find the same to
be true for Red Hat/Suse vs. Debian systems.
I do believe that the same goes for windows - since it's so easy to
handle, superficially, it will
tend to be operated by less experienced admins in general. Just remember
that all the NT-worms
only got so successful because there uncounted unpatched systems out
there...
</speculation>

Kind regards,
Benjamin