routed on lo0 device

Michael Jeung mjeung at cisdata.net
Mon Nov 1 18:01:30 PST 2004

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get past a sticky routing situation by running routed on
all of my machines in my server cluster.  I've been instructed by
several sources of authority that the best solution for a multi-homed
ip address scenario is bind the ip addresses to the loopback device and
use routed to advertise their presence.

I'm having difficulty getting routed to bind to the loopback device.
By default, routed seems to think the loopback device should be in
passive mode - which causes routed to completely ignore all ips
associated with the device.  (Perhaps this is to avoid advertising
routes to 127.0.0.1?)  In any case, I was just curious as to whether
anyone has every dealt with a situation like this before.

Is there some sort of trick to getting routed to work with the loopback
device?  I want the loopback device to be active for routed, not
passive.

Thanks!

Michael Jeung