starting apche service on start up

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Mon Nov 1 12:24:30 PST 2004

aaron said the following on 11/01/04 15:15:

>Using FreeBSD 4.10 release and confused about what to do with the startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh when installing the port.  The package on another machine works fine b/c it just has options to start and stop in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh.

The newer ports are using an rc subroutine (referenced in the script as
rc.subr), which allows for easier enabling/disabling of services via
/etc/rc.conf

>The port however has a totally different file asking to:
>
>  # Define these apache_* variables in one of these files:
>  # /etc/rc.conf
>  # /etc/rc.conf.local
>  # /etc/rc.conf.d/apache
>  #
>  # DO NOT CHANGE THESE DEFAULT VALUES HERE
>
>  apache_enable=${apache_enable-"NO"}
>  apache_flags=$(apache_flags-""}
>  apache_pidfile=${apache_pidfile-"/var/run/httpd.pid"}
>
>I do not have rc.conf.  What's the preferred way of starting apache on boot.  Why not just do it the same way as the package?

You really should have an /etc/rc.conf -- have you tried:

cat /etc/rc.conf

At a command line? All you have to do is add:

apache_enable=YES

to the end of the file (/etc/rc.conf) and you can then do:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start

And that will work. Hope this helps!

Best,
Glenn