Apache2 & Apache 1.3 Conf File Differences? (Was: Apache 2-"Directory index forbidden by rule") - SOLVED!

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Nov 1 11:05:37 PST 2004

On 10/26/2004 4:32 PM Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> On 10/19/2004 10:38 AM Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded my existing Apache 1.3x server to Apache 2.0.52.
>> I changed nothing (that I recall) in my httpd.conf file.  In 1.3x, I
>> had defined a virtual server to link to /usr/local/share/doc so I
>> could easily read my docs from what ever computer I was using at the
>> time.  There was never an index.html file.  I just relied on whatever
>> was built-in to Apache (mod_autoindex?) to provide a directory
>> listing when I accessed the Document Root.
>>
>> But since upgrading, I get a 403 error and this appears in my log file:
>>
>> Directory index forbidden by rule: /usr/local/share/doc/
>>
>> I've Googled on the subject and found others with the same problem.
>> The general recommendation is to make sure that "Options Indexes" is
>> defined for the directory.  I've done this and restarted Apache but
>> it has not helped.  Here's the relevant section of httpd.conf:
>>
>> <VirtualHost *>
>>    ServerAdmin webmaster at mykitchentable.net
>>    ServerName freebsd.mykitchentable.net
>>    DocumentRoot /usr/local/share/doc
>>    CustomLog /var/log/httpd_freebsd-access.log combined
>>    ErrorLog /var/log/httpd_freebsd-error.log
>>
>>   <Directory "/usr/local/share/doc">
>>        Options All
>>        Order allow,deny
>>        Allow from all
>>    </Directory>
>>
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> Can anyone point out my error?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Drew
>

> I am still having this problem and can't figure it out.  Because I
> upgraded from 1.3x to 2, I wonder if there's something in my
> httpd.conf that needs to be added?  Does anyone else that has upgraded
> recall having to add or change something?
>
> Thanks ,
>
> Drew

Just wanted to post the solution.  My mistake was that I modified
apache/httpd.conf and not apache2/httpd.conf.  Once I added the
appropriate options to apache2/httpd.conf things started working.
However the index icons were just placeholders because the icon gifs
didn't exist.  I finally found that I had to modify this line:
Alias /icons/ "/usr/local/www/icons/"

to this:
Alias /icons/ "/usr/local/www/icons-dist/".

Everything is working OK now.

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse