FreeBSD + OpenGL

Jeremy W. Sheaffer jws9c at cs.virginia.edu
Mon Nov 1 06:22:39 PST 2004

I just purchased an emachines laptop with an amd64 and an ati radeon 9600
which is now running FreeBSD 5.3-BETA4 beautifully.  I need to be able to
run OpenGL programs using, among others, the ARB_vertex_program,
ARB_fragment_program, and ARB_occlusion_query extensions.  These are all
part of OpenGL 1.5, which is implemented by the current version of Mesa,
Mesa-6.2.  Xorg, as shipped with FreeBSD uses Mesa-5.1 as the renderer,
so I upgraded from source to Xorg 6.8.1, which is current stable.  This
uses Mesa-6.1, which *should* give me the functionality I need--but it
doesn't.  glxinfo tells me my renderer version is OpenGL '1.2  (1.5 Mesa
6.1)'.  So I manually replaced the Mesa subtree in Xorg with Mesa-6.2.
6.2 is primarily a bugfix upgrade, but I hoped.  I also went through the
Mesa source and made certain that all conditionally compiled code that
involves the extensions I need are built, and then rebuilt Xorg.  Still no
dice.  Version string is '1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2)', and the extension I need
are not being exported.  I'm not certain that this is actually a FreeBSD
question, but it touches on three different systems, so I thought I would
try here first.  Does anyone have any experience with programmable
graphics under FreeBSD.  I realize, of course, that the drivers aren't
there to really support my card--I could care less if I get acceleration!
Mesa exports the functionality in software, and I need to be able to use
it.  Any suggestions?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy W. Sheaffer
jws9c at cs.virginia.edu
http://cs.virginia.edu/~jws9c/

             * The Moving Finger writes; and having writ, *
             *    Moves on: nor all thy piety nor wit     *
             *  Shall lure it back to cancel half a line  *
             *  Nor all thy tears wash out a word of it.  *
             *                       -Omar Khayyam        *