NFS server fail-over - how do you do it?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon May 31 11:09:36 PDT 2004

adp wrote:
> We can live with the chance that a file write might fail as long as we can
> switch over to another NFS server if the primary fails.

Sorry, NFS simply won't work with the model of operation you've described.

There is no way to do fallback to a secondary NFS server if the primary goes
down when using read/write shares, nor does there exist any way to push the
changes made to a secondary fileserver back to the primary, even if you could
convince the clients to fail-over in the first place.

Maybe Samba/CIFS would come closer to what you want, or else WebDAV over HTTP?

--
-Chuck