NFS server fail-over - how do you do it?

adp dap99 at i-55.com
Mon May 31 10:35:46 PDT 2004

Very useful information, thanks. We have a very stable NFS server, but I am
still working hard to put some redundancy into place. I was thinking that
since NFS is udp-based, that if the primary NFS server failed, and the
secondary assumed the primary NFS server's IP address, that things would at
least return to normal (of course, any writes that had been in progress
would fail horribly). That doesn't seem to be the case. During a test we
killed the main NFS server and brought up the NFS IP as an alias on the
backup. Didn't work. Has anyone tried anything like this?