routing for 1000 users and 10Mbit internet.

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon May 31 10:14:45 PDT 2004

hugle wrote:
[ ... ]
> why then my users eats so much CPU?
> look:
> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system, 38.0% interrupt, 61.2% idle
> Mem: 21M Active, 177M Inact, 133M Wired, 1228K Cache, 199M Buf, 1677M Free
>
> I have only 61% idle ?
> usualy i have ~50 idle..
> now I have P4 2.4GHZ
>
> maybe my setup is bad (kernel I mean)?
> ps. what those interrupt means?

English as a second language, hmm?  Very well:

Your network card generates a signal when it receives a network packet and
wants the OS to "pay attention".  That signal is called an interupt, and has a
strong correlation with the term "IRQ".  You are seeing lots of interrupts
because your router is dealing with lots of packets.

It is very likely that you can improve the way your system handles this load
by tuning your system better, yes.  Read "man tuning", and consider rebuilding
your kernel using HZ=1000 or so, and enabling DEVICE_POLLING.  You should also
make sure you've got good network cards in the machine...

--
-Chuck