FreeBSD 4.10 and terminal woes - FIXED

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Mon May 31 10:03:06 PDT 2004

* Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx at ua.ac.be> [20040529 21:55]: wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 03:04:36PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > I decided to upgrade the box that I read my mail on (using mutt) to
> > FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE. It has been running 4.9-STABLE since those days ;)
> >
> > Now all too suddenly, I have a mad terminal, display getting messed up
> > when I read my mail, edit a file, almost anything. The only change was
> > the upgrade. To give a little more details I can gather, when I ssh to
> > the box from another Unix terminal, this madness is not there at all.
> > But before I upgraded, I was using Microshit windows for a couple of
> > days, connecting to this box using Telneat (aka ShellGuard) and there
> > was no problem.
> > IIRC, there was no change at all to /etc/termcap during mergemaster.
> >
> > I'll appreciate any clues.
> >
> > Not that I desperately need to run on Windows, but just so that I can
> > know what happened and how to fix it. In my .bash_profile, I init my
> > terminal as cons25.
> >
> > I checked UPDATING to see if anything is mentioned, but no.
> >

> > Thank you in adv.
> >

> > -Wash
>
> Check your $TERM variable.  Make it "cons25".
>
> For /bin/sh or bash:
> TERM=cons25; export TERM
> You can make this permanent putting it in /etc/profile
>
> For csh:
> setenv TERM cons25
> You can make this permanent putting it in /etc/csh.cshrc
>
> Probably the upgrade replaced one of these files so you lost your TERM.
> By default, it's set to "dumb" and then you can't use vi, mutt, ...
>
> Having no problems with ssh means that your client automatically uses
> vt100 or xterm as $TERM, which works fine for those programs.

When I configured the Telneat (Shellguard) thingy to init its terminal
as cons25, I can now say I am the HAPPIEST folk the world over.

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121