routing for 1000 users and 10Mbit internet.

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Mon May 31 08:30:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, hugle wrote:

> The question in what machine do i need?
> What CPU and how much of ram ?

I set up a firewall for more than 300 users, a DMZ with a public webserver,
webmail and MX on a PII-350MHz with 128 MB RAM.

On another client, I set up a firewall for 50 users with a Pentium 90MHz
with 64MB RAM.

> dual or single processor ?

One. Don't waste you money. A firewall isn't very CPU intensive. And given
the fact that ipf works at the IP stack level, I don't think you can have
more than one thread active at a time messing with the IP data structures.

			Fer