Can I specify the resolver timeout?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon May 31 00:20:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 06:38:58AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-05-30 22:26, adp <dap99 at i-55.com> wrote:

> >> Look at resolv.conf(5).  More specifically at the "options timeout" option.
> >
> > I did in fact look at the manpage and did not find that option. I just
> > looked again and I still can't find it.
> >
> > # man resolv.conf | grep -i timeout
> > # uname -r
> > 4.10-BETA
> >
> > Are you running FreeBSD 5.x perhaps?
> >
> > If the option is available and my manpage is wrong then that's fine.
> > Just let me know. :)
>
> Hmmm, I *am* running 5.X.  Looking at the manpage source I see that this
> option's missing from the 4.X sources :(

This came up on the list quite recently.  The source for the FreeBSD
resolver.5 man page (/usr/src/share/man/man5/resolver.5) is maintained
separately from the equivalent BIND source contributed from the ISC
(/usr/src/contrib/bind/doc/man/resolver.5) The 'timeout:' and
'attempts:' entries in the FreeBSD man page are there in HEAD and have
been for 5 months, but (despite the CVS comment on version 1.10 of the
page) haven't been MFC'd to RELENG_4 or RELENG_5_2 yet.

Whether this means that support is available in the underlying
resolver libraries is another question.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way