New FreeBSD Installation

Mugwumba From the North stormling at hotmail.com
Fri May 28 11:57:15 PDT 2004

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help provided.

I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.10 on a new, clean ProLiant DL380 g3. It
has four 72.8 GB drives, and currently set up as a RAID5 by it's Smart Array
5i boot controller.

I  want to start by making this as simple as possible, so only one operating
system (BSD).

Some specs:

ProLiant DL 380 G3
Intel Xeon @ 3.06 Ghz
NC7781 Gigabit Server Adapter
IDE CD-ROM 1 : DW-224E

I have created both the kern.flp and the mfsroot.flp diskettes, and
progressed through the initial installation.

The first problem I have encountered is being unable to initialize the media
from my ISO diskette. I get the following error message:

Error mounting /dev/acd0 on dist: Input/output error (5) 100%

This is surprising, since on the Hardware Probe results, I have:

acd0: CDROM <DW-224E> at ata0-master using PIO4

Now I have read that an older issue was that the CD-ROM drives needed to be
set as slave to the hard drive controller in order to work properly, but
thought this was an older issue, and taken care of. (?)

Yet, when I do a Standard Installation, Use the Entire Disk (setting as
Bootable), Install a Standard MBR (no boot manager), use Auto Defaults for
the Disk partitioning, Attempt a User installation (to keep it basic), and
accept the FreeBSD ports collection suggestion, then choose my Installation
Media type as CD/DVD (and will be using the 4.10 Disc 1 ISO), the Error
mounting... <etc> comes up.

I do not believe it is the CD-ROM drive itself - there are several disks
that I have tested and ran upon it (the ProlLiant's SmarStart, for example).

Has anyone encountered this problem? I have read at several areas that it
might be an issue with the RAID controller (?)

Thanks again for any advice, and have a great holiday weekend!

Jon