Installation problems

Paul Brownsea paul.brownsea at virgin.net
Fri May 28 08:56:59 PDT 2004

OK, I was going to try turning off DMA, but it won't. There isn't an actual
setting in the CMOS setup for it. After consulting the manual it tells me
to disable "PCI IDE busmaster", so I did. But DMA is still enabled so it
still does the same. Should I just give up or is there anything else to do?

On Thursday 27 May 2004 18:59, Scott Kupferschmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The problem is your motherboard has a junk ide controller that FreeBSD
> does not support DMA on properly.  If you disable DMA in the BIOS,
> FreeBSD will boot and install properly.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Scott Kupferschmidt
> ISPrime, Inc.
> 866.502.4678 ext. 3
> AIM: Scott ISPrime - ICQ: 174337249
>
> On Thu, 27 May 2004, Paul Brownsea wrote:
> > I thought I'd give FreeBSD a go after enjoying using Linux, so I
> > downloaded and burnt the FreeBSD 4.9 ISO images and I can't seem to
> > install. I get past the bit with configuring the kernel but get stuck
> > just afterwards, the last two messages are as follows:
> >
> > ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> > ata0: resetting devices ..
> >
> > And then it just hangs.
> >
> > --
> > "Plaese porrf raed."
> > 		-- Prof. Michael O'Longhlin, S.U.N.Y. Purchase

Real World, The n.:
	1. In programming, those institutions at which programming may
be used in the same sentence as FORTRAN, COBOL, RPG, IBM, etc.  2. To
programmers, the location of non-programmers and activities not related
to programming.  3. A universe in which the standard dress is shirt and
tie and in which a person's working hours are defined as 9 to 5.  4.
The location of the status quo.  5. Anywhere outside a university.
"Poor fellow, he's left MIT and gone into the real world."  Used
pejoratively by those not in residence there.  In conversation, talking
of someone who has entered the real world is not unlike talking about a
deceased person.