Mail Exchanger - help

Darryl Hoar darryl at osborne-ind.com
Thu May 27 13:43:39 PDT 2004

> Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 2:54 PM
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Mail Exchanger - help
>

> Greetings,
> I have a LAN that is on private IP.  It is nat'd to the internet.
> The internal LAN domain name is registered.  Our ISP
> just forwards the osborneindustries.com domain name to
> our other registered domain name.
>
> In an effort to replace our internal msmail (Yuk!), I have
> setup a test server running Freebsd 5.1-release.  It has
> qmail installed on it and configured as per lifewith qmail.
> It passes all the tests as defined in lifewithqmail.
>
> I have another server (HP9000, running HPUX) that has
> djbdns (tinydns, dnscache, etc) setup and servicing my
> LAN.  internal host names are resolved just fine.
>
> When (from outlook) I try to send email to user at osborneindustries.com,
> the mail gets sent out to our ISP.  I have outlook configured properly
> with a service for the osborneindustries.com.
>
> I have created a mx record on the HP.  I ran the following:
>
> # ./dnsmx osborneindustries.com
> 0 goober.mx.osborneindustries.com
>
> on the qmail server I ran:
>
> mail# dnsquery -t mx osborneindustries.com
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
> ;;      osborneindustries.com, type = MX, class = IN
> osborneindustries.com.  23h51m37s IN MX  0
> goober.mx.osborneindustries.com.
>
> both seem to see the mx record.   Seems that qmail can't find
> it though.
> what do I need to set/fix to get qmail to find the mx record ?
> the resolv.conf on the qmail server has:
>
> domain  osborneindustries.com
> nameserver      192.168.1.1
>
> any ideas would be great.  BTW, outside users (on the
> internet) do not use
> our internal
> dns server to resolve addresses.

well I know it's bad form to answer your own question, but after
messing with this for days, I have found the solution.

In addition to creating a mx record on my dns server, I had to
Add osborneindustries.com to /var/qmail/control/locals, and tell
qmail to read locals (/var/qmail/bin/qmailctl hup). Add
osborneindustries.com to /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts.

Anyway, just for completeness.

-Darryl