Install hangs with Toshiba 2.5" drive

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Thu May 27 10:46:23 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 05:12:11PM +0100, Robert Downes wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 5.0 installer, I see a few messages along the lines of
> "configured IRQ 3 is not in bitmap of irqs" and then the following pair
> of lines:

Sounds familiar.

> ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices ..

Uh-huh.

> And then the system seems to jam, the drive light still on, and no
> further progress is made even after several minutes.

Yep.

> Does anyone know what would cause this?

Nope; I can't figure it out either. My craptop is a Gagway, and throws
all kinds of erroror messages, depending on the version of FBSD I use.

Oddly, Fedora and NetBSD install just fine on the Gagway. X works with
both, smooth as silk. Sound under Fedora; never tried it with NetBSD.

> The version of FreeBSD I'm trying to install is 5.0. Would creating
> a newer install CD solve this  problem?

I would go to a newer 5.x, if nothing else. I did notice that the
error messages decreased in a later 5.x than yours. No joy; but it was
a step in the right direction.

> The drive I'm trying to install to is a Toshiba MK8025GAS, 2.5" notebook
> drive. I've successfully installed Windows XP on it to test it, so the
> drive does not seem to be the problem.
>
> Any ideas?

Use what works, that is what I decided.