mplayer + realaudio ... what to expect when installing ...

Lars Eighner eighner at io.com
Wed May 26 12:46:31 PDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Erik Trulsson wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 07:32:50PM +0200, Henrik W Lund wrote:
> > Erik Trulsson wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > >mplayer does have about a gazillion dependencies (most of them
> > >optional) including X (not optional), so if you don't want X installed
> > >then mplayer isn't for you.
> > >(It is a multimedia player after all, and to play video you need
> > >graphics support.)
> > >

> > Actually, you can pass make WITHOUT_GUI=yes and it will not install X.
> > Yes, it does display videos on the command line. No, it's not pretty.
>
> Wrong.  Mplayer depends on X if you define WITHOUT_GUI.
> WITHOUT_GUI causes it not to have a GUI (available if mplayer is
> invoked as gmplayer) and to not depend on GTK.

mplayer -vo sgva

works fine without X - whether you can build it without X, I
don't know and I rather doubt.

It makes a fine viewer for lynx, although you have to suid.  Since
it will no longer work with X if you suid it, I just copy and rename
the binary which I suid.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner at io.com -finger for geek code-