File encryption: bdes or gpg

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed May 26 10:52:48 PDT 2004

Another option that you didn't even bring up:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html

If you're not using 5.x, then this isn't available to you yet.  But I thought
I'd bring it up in case you weren't aware of it.

Simon Bates wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am fairly new to FreeBSD and this is my first post to
> freebsd-questions. I hope I am asking my question in the correct forum.
> Apologies if not.
>
> I am hoping someone can give me advice on file encryption. I would like
> to encrypt a file and store it on my filesystem. I would like to encrypt
> the file so that my data is not readable by someone who gains root
> access or physical access to my computer. I do not intend to share the
> data with anyone else so a public/private key system is optional.
>
> I did some Googling and some reading of man pages and I have come up
> with 3 options thus far:
>
> 1. bdes(1)
>
> 2. gpg -c (/usr/ports/security/gnupg)
>
> 3. gpg (/usr/ports/security/gnupg) with a public/private key pair for me
> plus a passphrase
>
> I would really appreciate any pointers to discussions of the relative
> merits of these approaches or pointers to better options if available.
>
> Thank you all very much for your time. Best wishes,
> Simon

Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com