File encryption: bdes or gpg

Simon Bates simon.bates at utoronto.ca
Wed May 26 07:03:00 PDT 2004

Dear all,

I am fairly new to FreeBSD and this is my first post to
freebsd-questions. I hope I am asking my question in the correct forum.
Apologies if not.

I am hoping someone can give me advice on file encryption. I would like
to encrypt a file and store it on my filesystem. I would like to encrypt
the file so that my data is not readable by someone who gains root
access or physical access to my computer. I do not intend to share the
data with anyone else so a public/private key system is optional.

I did some Googling and some reading of man pages and I have come up
with 3 options thus far:

1. bdes(1)

2. gpg -c (/usr/ports/security/gnupg)

3. gpg (/usr/ports/security/gnupg) with a public/private key pair for me
plus a passphrase

I would really appreciate any pointers to discussions of the relative
merits of these approaches or pointers to better options if available.

Thank you all very much for your time. Best wishes,
Simon