Promise ATA100 controller and 160G disks

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed May 26 06:28:51 PDT 2004

Stijn Hoop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone know if the Promise ATA100 controller PCI card supports 160 G
> disks on -STABLE?

I'm not 100% sure that the Promise controller is the problem here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-May/046070.html

Earlier this week, I thought I'd solved the problem: I partitioned the drive
in a different computer, and it seemed to be OK in one of the machines where
it previously wouldn't work.

I then partitioned a second drive and sent them both off with the client to
be installed in the server at the colo site.  Apon installation, the system
hung (as described in the email) ... I don't know what the hell is going on
at this point, and it's incredibly frustrating because I'm not even sure how
to proceed with fixing it.

I guess my point is that it might be worthwhile to try to isolate whether the
problem is with the Promise controller, or with 160G drives.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies