Strange pkg_info output

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Tue May 25 14:26:19 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 14:01:11 EDT, Chuck Swiger scribbled these
curious markings:
> >pkg_info: package bsdpan-DBD-mysql-2.9003 has no origin recorded
> >pkg_info: package bsdpan-DBI-1.42 has no origin recorded
> >pkg_info: package bsdpan-GD-1.19 has no origin recorded
>
> >Should I be worried about this? Or, how do I fix this?

The messages are telling you that when you installed the package, BSDPAN
did register it into the package database, but it (obviously) has no
information about where from the ports tree you installed it; e.g., if
you installed DBI from the ports tree, its origin would be
databases/p5-DBI. Why you're installing packages that are in the ports
tree without using the ports tree is beyond me. If you want it to be
updated, send-pr with a patch.

> I would be interested in a fix for this as well, however.

The simplest solution would be to create a port out of the module in
question. It's extremely simple; a typical Perl module's port makefile
fits on one 80x25 console screen, and its pkg-plist would fit on an
80x10 screen :). I've done this myself a number of times. Just remember
that if you put the port in the category Makefile (e.g.
databases/Makefile), any subsequent cvsup / cvs update will remove your
changes.

pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).