amd64 (Intern)

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Tue May 25 02:42:26 PDT 2004

Christer.Solskogen at telenor.com wrote:

>I`m very close to byu a AMD64 system, but I`m not quite sure how it will work on FreeBSD.
>Is there something I should be aware about? Some mainboards maybe?
>And how about S-ATA on these boards?
>
>(I will probably run 5-CURRENT)
>
>--
>Med vennlig hilsen
>Christer Solskogen
>Telenor Forhandlerservice
>
>Tlf 55 55 17 70 - Fax 815 44 155
>tts.fs-best at telenor.com
>
>.

The 64-bit support on FreeBSD is very good, as long as you download the
AMD64 ISOs and not the i386 ISOs. As for S-ATA, the support isn't really
optimal as far as I know, especially when you're going to use an S-ATA
RAID controller.

I've tried the 64-bit FreeBSD version on my AMD64 3000+, and it worked
just fine. But I switched back to Bill's software since I wanted to make
it a gaming machine, and not a real workstation.

Cheers,

Jorn